Thursday 4 February 2010

My friend Kelli

My art friend Kelli lost her battle against cancer recently. I'd known her about six years after "meeting" her on an online art group. I can't remember if it was Postcardx.net (now defunct) or on Art by You (the original!) She lived in Rochester, New York, and I was born in Rochester, UK.

Her obituary is here, lifted from http://thedailynewsonline.com/

Kathryn Louise “Kelli” Schwert

Kathryn Louise “Kelli” Schwert, 39, of Rochester, passed away Tuesday (Jan. 26, 2010) at the home of her parents in Medina.

Kelli was a graduate of Alfred-Almond Central School, Alfred State College and D’Youville College. She loved her work with children as an occupational therapist, first for Genesee Valley BOCES and later the Spencerport Central School District. When not working, Kelli could be found crafting, cat- snuggling, or entertaining her nieces and her many, many friends.

She is survived by her parents, David and Trudi of Medina; her brother, Peter of Portland, Oreg.; her brother, Daniel, sister-in-law, Amy, and nieces Julia and Lilli, of Macedon; several uncles, aunts and cousins; and her cats, Captain Fishypants and Vincent Velvetpaws.

Her family wishes to thank the Pluta Cancer Center for loving care and assistance during Kelli’s long battle with cancer.

A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Friday at Asbury First United Methodist Church, Rochester. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Breast Cancer Coalition of Rochester (480 University Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607) or Hospice of Orleans County (14080 State Route 31, Albion, NY 14411). Share condolences at http://www.cooperfuneralhomemedina/

I just love the names of her cats, although I could've sworn one of them was called Nicholas Snarglebean!! One of my best memories of her was about three years ago, when I was putting together a "Hand Made Birthday Card Album" for Tony Curtis. Kelli was still able to work at the time, as an occupational therapist for autistic children. She had some of them make cards out of fluorescent card (think LOUD lime green and SCREAMING pink!!) and Sesame Street stickers. These were kids that apparently couldn't concentrate long enough to write their first names, but here they were having a blast crafting. Everytime someone came in the room, they'd go "We're making cards for this guy" (holding up a picture of TC) "He's really old!!" You gotta laugh!!!

There's more stuff about Kelli on http://www.caringforkelli.com/ too.

I'm going to miss her.

4 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

My condolences.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

I'm sorry to reed abowt yor frend.

Mummy lost a frend to cancer a few yeers ago. Snot nice at awl is it.

I am sendin yu sum bear hugs. I hope yu ar ok.

By the way, I like ROchester, UK. I've never been to the uther wun. But wen I go to the UK wun I like to hav a cream tea in Peggoty's Parlour.

Beanie Mouse said...

I like the sound of a cream tea at Pegotty's Parlour. I've never had one of those. Shall we go and have one together, Bob??!

Lesa said...

I'm so sorry for the lose of your wonderful friend.