Saturday 11 February 2012

Vanity Galleries, Good promotion vs questionable Advanced Fees

I recently received an unsolicited email from a New York City based art gallery soliciting me to submit work to them..... and I quote directly...

I came across your website oneofandreas.com while I was doing research online. I wanted to take a minute to introduce you to our gallery.
Agora Gallery has been in business since 1984 and is located in the heart of New York’s famous art district, Chelsea. A well-established gallery, we provide promotional services to talented artists such as yourself, for which we charge an annual promotional fee.
For more information about gallery representation and our services, or to submit your portfolio for review, please visit http://www.agora-gallery.com/artistinfo/gallery_representation.aspx .

I would be happy to answer any questions. You can reach me at 212-***-**** or ****@agora-gallery.com.


I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind regards,

Now personally, the fact that they're asking for money up front IN ADDITION TO presumably a commission on all sales strikes me as a little odd.  Commission I can understand.  Up front fees sounds a bit like that Nigerian 419 scam asking for fees to release a large payment.  I emailed back asking what kind of fees they'd be looking at and part of the response I received was

Thank you for your response. Artist must first submit their portfolio or website for the gallery director to review. The director is the one who reviews all submissions and makes the final decision. If your work is chosen for representation you will receive an agreement. Within the agreement there are different representational/promotional offers you may choose from. There is no fee for submitting your works nor are you obligated to accept.
The cost for basic representation is $3,850 for one year (flexible payment plans are available). Additional services may be included depending on the level of representation that you select.
£3,850 for one year basic representation????  On top of commission??  And their incentive to sell my work is....????

I did a bit of research online and found two further articles concerning this.  One is a blogpost dated May 2009 regarding Vanity Galleries which is here http://joannemattera.blogspot.com/2009/05/marketing-mondays-vanity-gallery.html and it's worth reading some of the comments on that as well.  Get your coffee made first, there's a few of them.

To make this a fair and balanced blog post, and to nullify any suggestion of slander, libel or defamation, I will also post a link here to the Agora Gallery's response to such negative suggestions made in this or other posts.
The link is here http://www.agora-gallery.com/scam/?gclid=CJ7bkqzxla4CFSgntAod1yF0LA

Make up your own minds about whether this is a good idea or not. 

*DISCLAIMER*  Any and all comments made about Agora Gallery in this post are purely personal opinion expressed under the current laws of freedom of speech.

No comments: